Just for fun, let's list all the great things about tablets:
- They are light and easy to pack
- Their batteries last forever (or 5-10 hours, whichever comes first)
- The viewing aspect, set at 16:9, is perfect for HD video
- Lots of cool, easy to use apps that rarely crash
- No "blue screen of death"
- You look really cool using them
- They are multi-media superstars - meaning that you can use an app, listen to your music, watch movies, compose music - all from the same device. No reboot required, by the way
- You DO NOT have to take them out of your bag at airport security <My Personal Favorite>
- You can pack a whole library of books inside a tablet. A big space saver if you're a packrat like me
- You can make phone calls, video conferences, web chats, and do all kinds of instant communications through them
The next big thing in tablet computing is going to be a revolution in the typing interface. If you're an entrepreneur looking for a way to make an easy billion or two, focus on this problem. Once people have a way to quickly and comfortably type on their tablets, that will be the day that the laptop dies. The PC as we know it will not be long in following.